Last day in Zambia
After what has been a truly fascinating three weeks, my assignment in Zambia has come to an end.
The team in Lusaka have been great, and, as you can see, we got everyone together for a group selfie...although I think I'm too old for a selfie-stick as this is the only picture in which I wasn't frowning at the mechanics of the process, and don't ask me what I'm doing with my left arm as I have no idea. Anyway, I think this photo gives a great sense of how friendly and just generally nice everyone at the Sani foundation is. I know it can be a bit of a platitude to describe these experiences as "life-changing" but this really has been; not just in terms of seeing Zambia but also the opportunity to work with intellectual disabilities and to see such courage.
The team in Lusaka have been great, and, as you can see, we got everyone together for a group selfie...although I think I'm too old for a selfie-stick as this is the only picture in which I wasn't frowning at the mechanics of the process, and don't ask me what I'm doing with my left arm as I have no idea. Anyway, I think this photo gives a great sense of how friendly and just generally nice everyone at the Sani foundation is. I know it can be a bit of a platitude to describe these experiences as "life-changing" but this really has been; not just in terms of seeing Zambia but also the opportunity to work with intellectual disabilities and to see such courage.
I only had one disappointment; whilst I successfully introduced Zambia to Lincoln City FC, I also tried to get everyone to go the "full Lincolnshire" and refer to each other as "duck" and "sweetheart" but there are clearly some cultural boundaries that just can't be crossed.
So, c. 80,000 years after my ancestors strode (or, more likely, waddled) out of Africa, it was time for me to replicate that journey. Chewe kindly took me to the airport for my return flight via Dubai and it was with some sadness that I headed off.
Great Loves
Returning home, though, is never a disappointment for me as Lincoln holds a special place in my
heart. As you can see by this view of the replica imp in the Tesco Lincoln car park, the clouds and the rain came out to welcome me back, what with this being the height of summer.
heart. As you can see by this view of the replica imp in the Tesco Lincoln car park, the clouds and the rain came out to welcome me back, what with this being the height of summer.
And, of course, I am returning to my greatest loves, the gorgeous Wendy and our little pickle pot, Paris. As you can see by the clear, blue skies in the picture, they are preparing to come up from the south of France, so, England has a couple of days to smarten up its act on the weather front....and I have a couple of days to clean the house, although the Premier League starts this weekend, so, expectations on that front are not high.
This brings my first blogging experience to an end; thanks to everyone for reading it and for the encouraging feedback, and I do hope that you have all found this blog both erudite and informative. I am proud that I resisted writing "Dr Stephenson, I presume" until this point and, as Cleopatra said to Mark Antony, "If you liked it, tell your friends," so please feel free to share the link with any and all.

No comments:
Post a Comment