Sunday, 14 July 2019

Ready for departure

I’m almost on my way

By Marcos Elias de Oliveira Júnior - Own work, Public Domain,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15539653
So, on Tuesday July 16, 2019, I'm heading off on my big adventure to Zambia. To fill everybody in, with much help from Accounting for International Development I'm going to be doing a three-week volunteer accounting assignment (think Doctors Without Borders but for accountants!) to see if I can help a local NGO with their financial management.
I'm going to be working with a great organisation based in the capital, Lusaka, called the Sani Foundation who help youngsters with disabilities to develop work skills.
As far as Africa travel goes, I’ve been to North Africa (Morocco, Egypt) and South Africa but this will be my first time in the middle bit.  Not to worry though as I have read almost all of Wilbur Smith’s books and seen a lot of movies (Carry On Up The Jungle, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, etc) which has, I’m sure, enabled me to build up a bank of useful knowledge....
Famous last words, but I think everything is in order for the trip: all flights are booked, I’ve had all my vaccinations and start my anti-malarials on Monday, my visa is stamped into my passport, and my accommodation in Lusaka is booked.  The only real outstanding at this point is clearing down the Virgin TiVo box to make sure there is enough space for the 18 episodes of Neighbours that I will miss.
Undoubtedly though, the first question everybody will have is “What about Wendy and Paris?” Well, due to their extensive social commitments they have declined the opportunity to accompany me, but are being fully supportive. One of them has asked me to bring back some dried buffalo meat, but I won’t say which one it is.
I’m planning to update this blog at least a couple of times a week. The content will include details about how the assignment goes, my practical adventures as I get to grips with life in Africa, my exciting adventures on the weekends, the emotional pain of being on a different continent when Lincoln City start their League One campaign, and some general musings on the whole experience...all accompanied by some interesting pictures I hope.
So, please check back every now and then and you'll hopefully find something interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment